Re: howto identify os

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: howto identify os
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:53:38 +0000

Francesco Zappa Nardelli <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I am a novice user of autoconf, and I am sorry if my question is
> really silly.
>
> I am looking for a way to tell configure that the makefile it
> eventually generates should include the file "linux.mak" if we are
> building the software on Linux, and "macosx.mak" if we are building on
> Darwin.

You should say "GNU/Linux".

> How can I reliably detect the operating system of the machine the
> software is built on?

from the shell:

  uname -a

will do what you want. So you could setup a make variable with that
in:

  ISGNU:=$(shell uname -a | grep -i gnu)

However, if you check the autoconf macro archive you might be able to
find an AC macro to do it:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/

--
Nic Ferrier