Re: dispatching

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: dispatching
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:32:34 +0100

Hi,

> "awkward fit" because you are using Autoconf in an awkward way. Using
> a tool an an un-intened way.

It's really not that "unintended" IMHO. After all, Autoconf is all about
generating a Makefile from a template (Automake-generated or
handwritten) adjusted with some configuration options (partially
user-supplied, partially auto-checked). I'm really doing nothing else.
The only untypical part is that I want to use a *different* template
depending on one fundamental option (target system).

It's also not untypical to skip some checks on systems where they are
irrelevant... Only that in my case, about all checks are irrelevant on
systems using a monolithic kernel :-) (Please see other mail for
explanation.)

> You would be making to much work for yourself and the result would not
> be as robust as it could be.  Double the work and half the quality.

Acutally, I believe I can *save* a considerable amount of work this way.
In the given situation (again, see other mail), the alternative would be
to use Autoconf exclusively on the Hurd, and generate the
(pseudo-)makefiles on other plattforms with handwritten scripting magic.
I think using Autoconf for that also is much more convenient -- given it
is possible the way I imagine :-)

-Olaf-