Re: warning from AC_LANG_PROGRAM(Fortran 77)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: warning from AC_LANG_PROGRAM(Fortran 77)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:24:45 -0500

On  2-Mar-2005, Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> wrote:

| The root of all evil is the obsolete AC_TRY_LINK macro.
| Use the newer macros, which don't double-quote:
|
| AC_LINK_IFELSE([AC_LANG_PROGRAM([], [])],
|              [ACTION-IF-TRUE], [ACTION-IF-FALSE])

Yes, this works.  But in the documentation (current CVS) for
AC_TRY_LINK I did not see a note saying that it was obsolete or that
AC_LINK_IFELSE is preferred.  There is a note that says

     Same as `AC_LINK_IFELSE([AC_LANG_PROGRAM([[INCLUDES]],
     [[FUNCTION-BODY]])], [ACTION-IF-TRUE], [ACTION-IF-FALSE])' (*note
     Running the Compiler::).

which would lead me to believe that AC_TRY_LINK is just a more concise
form of AC_LINK_IFELSE because it handles the detail of
AC_LANG_PROGRAM.

OTOH, it does say (twice)

     This macro double quotes both INCLUDES and FUNCTION-BODY.

so I suppose that should have been a clue to me that the behavior I
saw should be expected.

Thanks,

jwe