Re: cross compiling --error when autoconf

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: cross compiling --error when autoconf
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:39:39 +0100

[I removed the bug-automake list from the cc list, as we are not
discussing any automake bug.]

Hello Hema K,

thanks.  This description of your problem is much better than the
other ones.  (I apologize that I have missed this yesterday.)

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 11:19:32AM -0300, Hema K wrote:
> actually i want to compile(ie cross compile mutt) with mb-gcc
> (for the microblaze processor and uclinux OS) instead of gcc.

You should be able to do this without any change to mutt's
configure script, just by specifying the right --host.
Please read the node "Specifying Names".

So my general impression is that it was mistake to touch
configure.in.

Anyway:

> so by studying the documentation of autoconf, i started by
> (1) adding AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM in configure.in
> (2) adding AC_TRY_RUN(mb-gcc) in configure.in
> (3) adding AC_CANONICAL_TARGET(microbalze-uclinux) in configure.in
>
> then did autoupdate and autoconf

In the manual for autoconf-2.59, you can find that both
AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM and AC_TRY_RUN are obsolete.
And the AC_CANONICAL_TARGET macro corresponds to --target option,
which you shouldn't use here; see the node mentioned above.

The nodes "Obsolete Macros" and "Run Time" explain what to do
instead of AC_TRY_RUN.

And I don't think you should run "autoupdate" here.  The configure.in
is usable as it is.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal