Re: RFC: Does hand editing of "config.h" make sense?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: RFC: Does hand editing of "config.h" make sense?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:55:18 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 09:49:54AM +0100, Keith MARSHALL wrote:
> > The book I just got on 'autoconf' mentions that editing 'config.h' is
> > one of the things that is expected.  It explains the format of the
> > file which includes comments to that effect.
>
> Since this seems rather strange advice to me, I wondered what other
> autoconf users, and in particular the maintainers, thought about this.

under normal circumstances, you don't edit it.  It definitely isn't
something which should be encouranged.

But if you port to a new or very weird platform, you can have problems
running configure there.  Then it comes handy that you take the template
and fill in the info, or correct the mistakes in config.h.

In practice, I haven't met with such a situation, so we can discuss
whether it's ever useful to mention this possibility in a manual.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan