Re: autoconf macro for gcc symbol visibility

From: J.T. Conklin
Subject: Re: autoconf macro for gcc symbol visibility
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:37:44 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
> * J.T. Conklin wrote on Sun, May 29, 2005 at 07:34:46PM CEST:
>> Does anyone have a macro for testing gcc's symbol visibility options
>> (-fvisibility=hidden, etc.)?  The ACE/TAO autoconf scripts currently
>> checks for gcc/g++ >= 4.0, but that loses on non-ELF targets.
>
> I believe some Intel compilers support it as well.
> Why don't you temporarily add this to CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS and test whether
> the compiler barfs at the option?

Thanks Ralf,

gcc/g++ appears to silently accept the visibility options (at least
the version Apple distributes does).  The ACE library compiled fine,
but the test programs failed to link.  An autoconf macro may have to
compile and link several files together to test this.

I'm not opposed to writing the autoconf macro, but I was hoping that
someone had already done it.  For now, I'm going to have to put it on
the back burner --- the ACE repository is frozen for the next release.
When I get back to it, I'll keep in mind that other compilers may also
support the options.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin