help setting LDFLAGS and CFLAGS within AC_ARG_ENABLE

From: J. Patrick Bedell
Subject: help setting LDFLAGS and CFLAGS within AC_ARG_ENABLE
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:52:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
        Thanks for your work on autoconf!
I am trying to modify the configure.in file of a pre-existing project (CVS) to include a CFLAGS and LDFLAGS addition when I find the libraries I'm looking for. The content of the addition that I am making is derived from a shell command, namely 'xmlsec1-config --cflags' and 'xmlsec1-config --libs'. I'm trying to use the following in configure.in to make the modification to CFLAGS and LDFLAGS in the compilation process, but it's not working at all. :( How would I include in the AC_ARG_ENABLE macro a modification to the global CFLAGS and LDFLAGS variables?
        Thanks a lot for your help!

        Patrick
        address@hidden

dnl
dnl Give the confiscator control over whether the IC server interfacing code is compiled
dnl
AC_ARG_ENABLE(
  [certification],
  AC_HELP_STRING(
    [--enable-certification],
    [Include code for interfacing to an information currency server.
(default)]), ,
  [enable_certification=yes])

if test no != "$enable_certification"; then

 AC_CHECK_HEADERS(openssl/evp.h libxml/tree.h libcsoap/soap-client.h
xmlsec/xmlsec.h,
  AC_DEFINE(
    [CERTIFICATION_SUPPORT], [1],
    [Define if you want CVS to be able to create information currency from
submitted code.])
    AC_CHECK_LIB(ssl,printf,[LIBS="${LIBS} -lssl"])
    AC_CHECK_LIB(xml2,printf,[LIBS="${LIBS} -lxml2"])
    AC_CHECK_LIB(xmlsec1,xmlSecCryptoInit,[LIBS="${LIBS} -lxmlsec1"])
    AC_CHECK_LIB(csoap,printf,[LIBS="${LIBS} -lcsoap"])
 CFLAGS=$CFLAGS -g `xmlsec1-config --cflags`;
 LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -g `xmlsec1-config --libs`;
)
fi
dnl
dnl end --enable-certification