Re: Failure to use -lnsl on Solaris with AC_CHECK_LIB

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Failure to use -lnsl on Solaris with AC_CHECK_LIB
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 12:20:33 -0700

Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:
> Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> writes:

>> AC_SEARCH_LIBS([gethostbyname], [nsl])
>> AC_SEARCH_LIBS([socket], [socket], [],
>>     [AC_CHECK_LIB([socket], [socket],
>>                [LIBS="-lsocket -lnsl $LIBS"], [], [-lnsl])])

>> Warren, will you please update the Autoconf Macro Archive?

> Please don't.  The code works and is widely tested.  Please do not
> replace it with something untested based on theoretical purity unless
> you're actually going to test it on all the platforms the original was
> tested on.

In particular, what I can't rule out without actual testing on Unisys
(which isn't available to me any more) is that, while -lnsl is more
fundamental than -lsocket on Solaris, it may be reversed on Unisys and the
test happened to work even though it was applying the libraries in the
wrong order.

Although the more I look at this, the more I think that Stepan is probably
right.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>