ARM Cross Compilation Problem with Shared Libraries

From: Andrés Moré
Subject: ARM Cross Compilation Problem with Shared Libraries
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:19:58 -0300

Hi, all.

I'm using autoconf/automake/libtool to manage a command line tool that
has a shared library and a linux kernel module.

In order to install the module, I have to use DATA definitions and a
separate Makefile.
Anyway, my main problem its that a need to cross compile this tool to
ARM, and I have
troubles when linking the shared objects.

So, the following line its used to "configure":

./configure CFLAGS="-mbig-endian -txscale"--host=arm-wrs-linux-gnueabi

And the library Makefile.am is:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = libxld_lib.la
libxld_lib_la_SOURCES = xld_lib.c

So, after configuring, when I type "make":

arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -shared  .libs/xld_lib.o   -mbig-endian
-Wl,-soname -Wl,libxld_lib.so.0 -o .libs/libxld_lib.so.0.0.0
/home/linux/toolchain/xscale_be/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/3.4.4/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/libgcc_s.so:
could not read symbols: File in wrong format

I'm able of compiling successfully without autoconf:

arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -mbig-endian -txscale -Wall -O -ggdb -c xld_lib.c
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -mbig-endian -txscale -fPIC -shared xld_lib.o -o
libxld_lib.so

So, I think that maybe the tool is missing some flags (-m flag) at
link time when cross
compiling shared objects.

The workaround that I have at the moment is using static libraries
instead of shared libraries, but I think its not _elegant_.

Thanks in advance, _any_ comment would be great...

PS: Excuse me if I am writing to the wrong list...

Andrés.