Re: config.status refuses to run

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: config.status refuses to run
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:15:03 +0200

Hi Sam,

* Sam Steingold wrote on Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:34:10PM CEST:
> I am getting this:
> sh config.status --recheck
> configure: loading cache ../config.cache
> configure: error: `CFLAGS' was not set in the previous run
> configure: error: `CPPFLAGS' was not set in the previous run
> configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
> configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ../config.cache' and start
> over
> make[1]: *** [config.status] Error 1
>
> I did not set any variables, not by hand.
> how do I avoid this error?

*snip*

> Unfortunately I am getting the above errors (`CFLAGS' was not set in the
> previous run &c).
> I understand why I am getting them, but I see no way to avoid them:
> if I configure module-dir1 before module-dir2, and module-dir2/configure
> changes CFLAGS, then module-dir1/configure will complain when I try to
> re-run it.
> So, how do you handle this issue?

module-dir2/configure *should* *not* *change* CFLAGS.
It's a user variable.  Assume the user may need to override the developer.

> the only thing I could come up with so far is quite ugly:
>
> --- module-dir/Makefile ---
> config.status : configure
>       sh config.status --recheck || (cd ..; rm -fv module-dir; make
> module-dir)
> --- module-dir/Makefile ---
>
> any other suggestions?

0) Fix module-dir2/configure not to change CFLAGS.
1) rm ../config.cache
2) Do not share config.cache among all modules
3) Use a config.site file to "cache" some answers which are safe to cache.