New version of the goat book?

From: Warren Young
Subject: New version of the goat book?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:19:55 -0600

Is anyone working on a new edition of the goat book?

Even the online version still has a lot of historical baggage. It uses the old-style configure.in filename, for one thing. For another, there are phrases like "this will be fixed in the next major version of Automake" when referring to v1.4 limitations, etc. A lot has happened in the last five years. Not just new features, but old ones becoming passe'. The proper style for using autotools has changed markedly.

On top of all that, I still prefer my paper copy, for usability.

It's time for a big enough rewrite to justify a second paper edition. I'd certainly buy a new copy.