Re: x86_64 ld elf

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: x86_64 ld elf
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:14:38 +0200

Hi Patrick,

* Patrick Shinpaugh wrote on Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 08:58:07AM CEST:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use autoconf (2.59) to create 32 or 64 bit libraries based
> on an enable flag when processor supports both (i.e. x86_64 or EM64T).
> The issue I have come across is the gnu linker ld which automatically
> has "-m elf_x86_64" added through the generated configure script
> (LD="/usr/bin/ld -m elf_x86_64"). Even if I set CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS to
> "-m32" the result is the same. Looking at the internals of the configure
> script (excerpt below) there should be some way to request 32 bit and it
> should append "-m elf_i386" instead. I have tried setting LD manually
> but it is overwritten with each AC_PROG_test (where test is CXX or CPP
> or some other test) and during these tests it appears that other
> important variables are being set which cause the build to fail because
> they end up trying to use 64 bit libraries instead of 32 bit. I suppose
> I could force it after each and every AC_PROG_TEST but that seems rather
> redundant and not at all robust.

The snippet you have posted comes from Libtool, so this question
would've better fit on the Libtool list.

Do I gather correctly that

  configure CXXFLAGS=-m32 CFLAGS=-m32 LDFLAGS=-m32
does not work?  Which libtool version is this, see `./libtool --version'?

Does this instead work:
  configure CC='gcc -m32' CXX='g++ -m32'

If neither: could you add `set -x' a bit before the code snippet you
posted, `set +x' a bit afterwards, and post configure output?