Re: AC_PROG_CC_C_O doesn't work with VC++

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC_C_O doesn't work with VC++
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:28:49 +0200

Hi Harald,

* Harald Dunkel wrote on Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 02:19:53PM CEST:

> I tried the previous patch you had sent some time ago (the
> version with 'conf$[$]'). But this didn't work for Bill's
> cl.exe. The generated Makefile still uses -c and -o on the same
> command line. I had verified that the new code is in configure.

Yes, but $(CC) should be set to something like
 CC = compile cl

and the `compile' script should take care of `-o'.

> The generated config.log says
>
>       configure:4747: checking whether cl and cc understand -c and -o together
>       configure:4779: cl -c conftest.c -o conf1504.obj >&5
>       Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.3077 for
> 80x86
>       Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1984-2002. All rights reserved.
>
>       conftest.c
>       configure:4782: $? = 0
>       configure:4829: result: no
>
> Yet the generated Makefile contains

Can you check whether configure.ac overrides the value of $CC after
AM_PROG_CC_C_O?  That is the bug then.

> Can I post a testcase here? It would be about 100KByte, so I
> should ask first. (Its so big, because it includes the
> configure script and the Makefile generated on Windows.)

Not my call; if you can name all autotools versions used, it should be
possible to recreate your example without all the generated files
(configure, Makefile.in, config.status, Makefile); then it should be
small.