Re: empty `for' loop in shell

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: empty `for' loop in shell
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:57:09 +0200

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 15:28 +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Hi,
>   is it true that
>
>         a= ; for f in $a; do ... done
>
> is not interpreted correctly by some shells?
Yes.

> Or is it only a myth?
AFAICT, it's not a myth. IIRC, Solaris' /bin/sh exposes this behavior.

Also, I recall autoconf having been modified many times several years
ago, because people had encountered this issue. May-be you can find
traces of related discussion in the mailing list archive ;)

> Autoconf contains workarounds for this bug, but the manual doesn't seem
> to mention it.
Too obvious and well-known to be documented ... ;)