Creating static libraries for Windows

From: BRM
Subject: Creating static libraries for Windows
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:18:01 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for all the help with getting this to work
initially. I now have all the architectures (i386,
i686, ppc, and sparc) and also linux and Solaris 8
working. However, the Mingw32/MSYS/Windows version
doesn't want to compile - I think this is mostly
because it is trying to create the normal ar library
(e.g. libos.a); whilst VC normally creates static
libraries differently (how, I'm not sure) using the
lib extension (e.g. libos.lib). Which is really what
brings me to my question:

1) I noticed via the following post[1] that the idea
of a LIBEXT has been brought up before, but I didn't
see any resolution. Is there something working (or in
the works) to bring this about? I would really like to
be able to specify the libraries as libos$(LIBEXT) -
though I'm not sure how that would work with the
Makefile.am (e.g. libos_a_SOURCES would go to what -
libos_$(LIBEXT)_SOURCES?) (I've still got quite a bit
to learn. ;-)

2) For those of you that are using the MSYS
environment - is there any other way to create a
static library using the Autotools under MSYS?

I've also included a URL[2] to my lastest version. It
doesn't compile under MSYS yet due to the above. But
is working quite well otherwise.

Again, TIA,

Ben

[1]http://tinyurl.com/9a5t8
[2]http://tinyurl.com/9e99k

TCP/IP Evil-bit RFC
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3514.txt