Re: autoconf defaults v.s. tradition

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: autoconf defaults v.s. tradition
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:24:24 +0100

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 02:03:52PM -0600, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> A useful option might be "--enable-layout=STYLE", where STYLE could be
> well known layouts: gnu (default), fhs, bsd, apache, opt, etc.  I
> believe the Apache project does something like this.
>
> I just wanted to validate my assertions before proceeding too far down
> this path.  Objects, assertions, and opinions welcome.

this sounds nice.  A patch would be welcome, supposing that you are
willing to sign the paperwork so that we can accept it.

I'm not sure whether it should be an "enable" option.  Perhaps
--directory-layout ?

And yes, your reasoning against pkg*dir variables seems to be valid,
at least in cases when your layout option is used.

Thank you for this idea!

Stepan Kasal