Re: telling the difference between g95 and f95...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: telling the difference between g95 and f95...
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 18:02:31 +0100

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 04:42:01PM CET:

> I have a configure script which needs to know whether it is dealing
> with the f95 distributed with gcc-4.x, or the g95, which is apparently
> an independent project, which handles slightly differently.

What are the differences that are important to you?  Can they be
recognized by a suitable test to be done in `configure'?  Without
running generated executables?  What if one of the compiler changes
in one of the interesting features (fixes some bug, or so)?

> In both cases ac_cv_fc_compiler_gnu is set to yes.
>
> At the moment I am distinguishing them base on name ("f95" vs. "g95")
> but this can easily break.

AFAIK the gcc-4.x Fortran compiler is named gfortran.

> Does anyone know of a better way?

Depending on above questions, yes: test for features, not names.
Testing for names and versions is very maintenance-intensive, see
Libtool; names and versions are a last resort when one
- cannot test the feature, or
- there are so many different details or possible results that it
  would take far too long to test.