autoreconf and m4_pattern_allow

From: Robert Lowe
Subject: autoreconf and m4_pattern_allow
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 23:47:37 -0600

Hi,

Until today I had never tried autoreconf.  I have always used a simple
shell script like:

#!/bin/sh
rm -f config.cache
rm -f acconfig.h

echo "- aclocal..."
aclocal -I m4

echo "- autoconf..."
autoconf

echo "- autoheader..."
autoheader

echo "- automake..."
#automake -a -v
automake -a

echo "- ready!"
exit

The script runs just fine, but autoreconf complained about my use of
AC_CREATE_STDINT_H, insisting that I use m4_pattern_allow, which I
did, and the problem vanished.  But, would anyone explain what
happened and why?  Does it perhaps have anything to do with the fact
that this macro is the only one I am using named AC_*, rather than say
ACX_*?

TIA,
Robert