dynamic strings in help text

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: dynamic strings in help text
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:58:50 -0500

I have a configure.ac file which has some shell commands to set a variable which I want to later use in a help string. The shell commands basically just enumerate modules contained in the source directory.

# some shell commands which give a value for the
# hid_guis variables

AC_MSG_CHECKING([for which gui to use])
AC_ARG_WITH([gui],
[  --with-gui=  Specify the GUI to use: $hid_guis],
[],
[with_gui=gtk]
)

This doesn't work for 2 reasons.

1) The help string stuff ends up in configure before the code which sets hid_guis.

2)  The help string is printed with

cat <<\_AC_EOF

help text

AC_EOF

and the "\" bit prevents variable expansion.

Is there a simple way around this?

Thanks
-Dan