Re: autoreconf and aclocal options (-I, --ac-dir)

From: Chris Pickett
Subject: Re: autoreconf and aclocal options (-I, --ac-dir)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:53:46 -0500

Vincent Torri wrote:
put

AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR(m4)

in configure.(in/ac) after AC_INIT and before AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE (it does not work for me if I put it after AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE)

and in the toplevel Makefile.am, put :

ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4

It works for me that way :)

Well, in my case, I'm writing documentation for users that have a macro installed locally (the macro is provided by me) but don't have either root access or a locally installed Automake (either of these would enable them to modify aclocal's dirlist). I spent a fair amount of time determining that the only way in this situation to get autoreconf to find the macro is ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS, so I thought I would write a small documentation update that would have been helpful to me.

Cheers,
Chris