Re: Autotest: using $abs_srcdir with m4_include

From: Nathaniel D. Sizemore
Subject: Re: Autotest: using $abs_srcdir with m4_include
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:18:40 -0600

On Apr 27, 2006, at 2:37 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
then the testsuite.at file in myProject/tests/ would have the
following lines:

m4_include([$abs_srcdir/type1/testsuite.at])

That won't work: m4_include is a macro which requires M4 literals, as
they will be used at the time m4 is run. Since you're likely to create
the testsuite in the source tree anway (right?), you could just
  m4_include([type1/testsuite.at])

Ralf, Noah -- thanks for confirming my understanding about how Autotest is working. Unfortunately, Ralf hit the issue directly; my reason for wanting to use $abs_srcdir in the m4_include() macro is that I *want* to build the tests out of place, and not in the source tree. Otherwise, I agree with both of you that simply expanding the path as you describe would work.

Alternatively, you could just list all the input files to `autom4te
--language=autotest' on the command line (in order).

Ah, I didn't think of that. Just tested this, and it seems to be a good way of being able to build and run the tests out of place. Thanks for the tip!

I agree the whole business is tricky to understand at first; for
example, some of the arguments of AT_CHECK are already used at M4 time
for optimization of the code that is put into the test suite.

Agreed, but overall I think the system is fairly easy to use. I'll add this trick to my notes on using Autotest -- once I'm done with this project for work, I'm hoping to add some more documentation for Autotest, so users don't have to ask the same questions I have.

--
Nathaniel D. Sizemore, Technical Staff
Tech-X Corporation | 5621 Arapahoe Ave Suite A | Boulder, CO  80303