Re: nonstandard library directories

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: nonstandard library directories
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 11:14:52 -0600

Edward L Platt wrote:
> Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> >Probably like this instead:
> >./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/include" LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib"
>
> Thanks for the help everybody.  It looks like the problem I was
> really having was that I'm compiling for os x and gnu gettext and
> related functions are in a separate library (libintl) so needed to
> use the following environment:
>
> export CFLAGS="-I/sw/include"
> export LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib -lintl"
> export CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS
> export CPPFLAGS=$CXXFLAGS

It is much better to pass those as arguments to configure rather than
as environment variables.  Because then they will be used during
recheck operations and things like that.  Better to do it the way
Peter's example showed:

  ./configure CFLAGS="-I/sw/include" LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib -lintl"
CXXFLAGS="-I/sw/include"

Do you really need to set CPPFLAGS=$CFLAGS?  I think that is not needed.

Bob