Re: autoreconf not passing -I option to aclocal

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: autoreconf not passing -I option to aclocal
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:01:11 +0100

>> aclocal is part of automake.  autoreconf should not be running it if
>> detects that you are not using automake.
>
> I disagree: aclocal is useful even when you don't use automake, for
> importing your own macros as in my case, so you should have a way to
> force its invocation if needed.

No, you shouldn't.  You should write your aclocal.m4 in a manner which
keeps the inclusion of any m4 source file it requires where it belongs
-- under your control.  You should not have to rely on an automated
tool which can automatically pull in all sorts of garbage, from any
possibly inappropriate source.

Just my 2p; you are welcome to a contrary POV :-)

Cheers,
Keith.