Re: autoreconf not passing -I option to aclocal

From: Guillaume Rousse
Subject: Re: autoreconf not passing -I option to aclocal
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:39:45 +0200

Stepan Kasal wrote:
> The -I option of autoconf is where the _included_ files are searched
> for.  For example, if your configure.ac contained
>       m4_include([foobar.m4])
> then the -I options specify where foobar.m4 might be found.
> (Though adding  m4_include([ocaml.m4])  to the top of your
> configure.ac might be a usable workaround for your problem, I do
> not think it is ``the right way.'')
Actually, it doesn't work, as it confuses aclocal:
address@hidden camlimages]$ autoreconf -v -I ../autoconf/
autoreconf-2.5x: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf-2.5x: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf-2.5x: running: aclocal
configure.ac:7: file `ocaml.m4' does not exist

[..]
> Well, the above advice works even if you are not using automake:
> The presence of Makefile.am should not cause problems; autoreconf
> recognizes that you are not using automake because configure.ac does
> not call AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.  But autoreconf greps Makefile.am for that
> assignment, even in that case.
>
> I understand it looks ugly, and it might confuse people, though.
Moreover, it requires me to specify a path to a file external to my
package, wich I don't want to do.
--
Guillaume Rousse
Projet Estime, INRIA