Re: systems requiring exit?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: systems requiring exit?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:47:42 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Paul Eggert wrote:

Howard Chu <address@hidden> writes:

As I recall, they implemented a fairly old draft of POSIX threads (and
not the same draft version as DCE or AIX) and with a compiler named
"c89" it's a given that they're not up to C99 specs. But still
reasonably modern.

If they conform to C89 there should be no problem.  In C89, returning
N from 'main' is like 'exit(N)'.  This thread is about pre-C89 systems
where the return value from 'main' is mangled.

For example (reading the comments that you made earlier, perhaps you should learn something old about C89):

In that case, it sounds like we should suggest to people that they use
the POSIX environment rather than try to port to a C-only environment.
But I am surprised that a C-only environment would mess up in this
way, even on mainframes.

VMS, where an application can return EXIT_SUCCESS or EXIT_FAILURE from main - but (still complying with C89), those are not 0 and 1 respectively.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net