Re: [Autogen-users] autogen 5.8.7 / Mac OS X.4.8 build problem

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: [Autogen-users] autogen 5.8.7 / Mac OS X.4.8 build problem
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 07:49:14 -0800

On 11/26/06, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
* Bruce Korb wrote on Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 02:40:07AM CET:
> Trying to make sure I'm tracking what is meant:
>
> # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> # check for various programs used during the build.
> # On OS/X, "wchar.h" needs "runetype.h" to work properly.
> # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> AC_CHECK_HEADERS([runetype.h wchar.h], [], [],[
> #if HAVE_RUNETYPE_H
> # include <runetype.h>
> #endif
> ])

Yes, this is good.  It may have to be this though, I don't know, you'd
have to test (the AC_INCLUDES_DEFAULT prepends some standard headers).

AC_CHECK_HEADERS([runetype.h wchar.h], [], [],[
AC_INCLUDES_DEFAULT
#if HAVE_RUNETYPE_H
# include <runetype.h>
#endif
])

> and then when this runs:
> # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> # Checks for typedefs
> # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> AC_CHECK_TYPE(wint_t, unsigned int)
>
> "runetype.h" will have been added to the header list and "wint_t"
> will be typedefed per that header, right?

No, this will also need a fourth argument, exactly the same as above.

Then I would really recommend some autoconf changes:

1.  Clarify for the dense among us what you are doing and why in the
   four argument examples

2.  Indicate that the fourth argument isn't just for AC_CHECK_HEADER,
   but for AC_CHECK_whatever, too.

3.  AC_CHECK_WINT_T, too, as this all seems a little over the top for
   your typical semi-neophyte.

BTW, is there an abbreviated way of saying, ``add all the headers we've checked
on to the list of "AC_INCLUDES_DEFAULT"?''  Because I would really prefer
a macro that did an AC_CHECK_HEADER followed by appending it to the
AC_INCLUDES_DEFAULT (if found,of course).  That would actually eliminate
the need for that fourth argument in our current examle.

Thanks for your help.  Regards, Bruce