Version defines in config.h

From: Jerker Bäck
Subject: Version defines in config.h
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 06:06:44 +0100

Is there a way to get the following defines to be written to config.h during
configure?

#define FILEVERSION_MAJOR           1
#define FILEVERSION_MINOR           2
#define FILEVERSION_RELEASE         3
#define FILEVERSION_BUILD           1
#define FILEVERSION_BETA            0    // TRUE 1  or FALSE 0

Where FILEVERSION_BUILD could be for example a svn or cvs number.

So, there is a release 1.2.3.0 of project "very_useful" and configure writes
the defines for this in config.h. But when we later check out a cvs version
of "very_useful", either configure is so smart it know about this and even
writes a proper FILEVERSION_BUILD number, or we can optionally manually
assign a number ourselves.

Have there been any rules or strategies about version numbers?

Thanks Jerker