Re: Stack direction check fails with optimizations

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Stack direction check fails with optimizations
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:43:01 -0800

> What about invoking the function indirectly, i.e. declare a pointer to
> the function, set it to the function, and call ....

Sorry, none of that stuff is guaranteed to work with ISO C.
The implementation is allowed to dump core if you compare
A < B where A and B point to distinct objects.

alloca is very much a black art, I'm afraid; I don't
recommend importing its mysteries into your own code.
Indeed these days I don't favor using it at all, given
the awful lack of runtime checking it normally has.