Re: what does not belong in a distribution

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: what does not belong in a distribution
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:57:44 +0100

Hello Thomas,

* Thomas Porschberg wrote on Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:52:25PM CET:

> I created a tarball with "make dist" and the latest set
> of the GNU build utils (autoconf 2.61, automake 1.10, libtool 1.5.22)
> and sent it to another programmer.
>
> The other programmer run configure, compiled the program and got a
> segmentation fault at runtime. This was no surprise because I got the
> same segmentation fault.
[...]
> However if he run our autogen.sh script (something like:
[...]
> and builds the executable again the segmentation fault disappeared.
> He does not use the same set of the GNU build utils.

Which versions does he use?

> The problem itself has something to do with static initialization of
> variables, the executable is linked against some (selfmaded)
> shared libraries.

C++ code?  Are those variables class instantiations that call a
nontrivial constructor?  Are there ordering constraints on the
construction of objects from different libraries/the main program?

> The problem disappears when a monolithic build is used,

Well, the easiest for us to know what's happening is a reproducible
small example.  Next best would be your original tarball plus build
logs.  But at least you need to specify both your systems used,
including compiler/linker versions, and other differences that may be of
importance.  A backtrace of the segfault should be helpful.

Hope that helps.