Re: "has changed since the previous run"

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: "has changed since the previous run"
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:20:36 +0100

* DJ Delorie wrote on Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 03:51:15AM CET:

> > To work around this issue with gcc-4.1.x (I do not use it for gcc-4.0.x
> > nor gcc-4.2), I am using this hack below.
>
> We have that hack, plus a few others.  I originally asked about this
> because I'd rather not have to keep hacking onto otherwise normal
> looking code just to avoid whitespace changes.  IMHO autoconf's test
> shouldn't be so sensitive to whitespace changes.

You keep saying that, but that doesn't make it more right.

Thanks for posting these references in the other mail:
| http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2006/msg01038.html
| http://sourceware.org/ml/newlib/2006/msg00472.html

They are due to the Autoconf-2.59 bug in AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS that I
mentioned earlier.  They can be reproduced with

..../newlib/configure -C CFLAGS='  -Dfoo  -Dbar  ' --target=m68k-elf
--host=m68k-elf

And they go away if I rebuild, with Autoconf-2.60, newlib/configure and
all other configure scripts that themselves call AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS.

So there is no need to fix CVS Autoconf to make it less sensitive to
whitespace changes: it does not have this behavior anyway.

Should I hack up a patch that fixes things for you for 2.59 only?