My autoconf replacement

From: Dirk
Subject: My autoconf replacement
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:42:38 +0100

Hello,

3 years ago I complained about autoconf for being autoconf. (I don't
want to discuss that)
http://sourceware.org/ml/automake/2004-02/msg00045.html

NOW, I want to introduce you to a replacement I wrote and successfully
use for 2+ years now.

It can detect header files, libraries and other files (pkg-config,
sdl-config, etc.).

So, experienced programmers who like small things should be able to do
everything necessary with it.

It was tested and works for all Unixes/Unices (and compat.)

It's usage is 100% autoconf compatible (./configure && make && make install)

Files:
configure   ~0.6kB
a shell script for autoconf compat.

configure.c ~8kB
a hybrid that is a shell script and C code at the same time

configure.in ~1-nkB
actually a header file but i decided to name it's suffix "in" for your
convenience

Running ./configure will always create a config.h and a config.mak file
for inclusion in the Makefile and the code.

I suggest everyone has a look at it. I already use it very successfully
in ~10 of my own projects. The attached example already detects a hell
of a lot different libs, header files, etc.

All you need to edit is configure.in. I think everything will speak for
itself.

THERE ARE ABSOLUTELY NO DEPENDENCIES EXCEPT SOME WORKING C COMPILER.

(It is prepared for Windows support.)

Let me know what you think,
Dirk