Re: [newbie] How to check for an "install" program

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: [newbie] How to check for an "install" program
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:02:57 +0100

Hello Stefano,

* Stefano Sabatini wrote on Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:56:06AM CET:

> I'm trying to use autoconf for a project of mine. I would like to
> insert a check in the configure file for some install program.
>
> The right command to use seems to be:
> AC_PROG_INSTALL

Yes.

> but I get all the times this error trying to run the autogenerated configure:
>
> configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in "." "./.." "./../.."

If you also happen to use Automake, then
  automake --add-missing

will install the file 'install-sh' into your package.  Otherwise I'm
afraid you have to do it manually once.  You can just copy the one
that comes with the Autoconf package into the toplevel directory of
your source tree, next to configure.ac.  (If you eventually use
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, then the file belongs in that directory.)

Hope that helps.