Re: Conditional AC_CONFIG_FILES

From: Brian
Subject: Re: Conditional AC_CONFIG_FILES
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:27:42 -0700

Thanks for the pointers Ralf. I had tried every thinkable method (at least,
thinkable by me =) before I wrote to this list. I prepared a modified
version of GNU Hello that you can run automake on. It has four differing
methods (inc. yours) that all fail for me:
http://whisper.colorado.edu/hello-2.2.autoconf.tar.gz

The error I typically get is this:
~/Desktop/hello-2.2 $ automake (or autoreconf)
configure.ac:56: required file `$test.in' not found

Where I specified AC_CONFIG_FILES([$test]). It just looks for a literal no
matter what!

I'm using autoconf macros and its failing in automake, so I don't know which
list to write to, of course. I have autoconf 1.4.4, automake 1.9.6 and m4
1.4.4.

I looked on Google Code Search, and I did find examples where people were
apparently successful with this. Those methods do not work here.
http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=file:configure\.in|configure\.ac%20AC_CONFIG_FILES\(\[.*\$.*\]\)

/Brian

The error I get is typically:
automake: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output
automake: Did you forget AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile]) in configure.ac?

Because it looks for what I enter into AC_CONFIG_FILES as a literal.

On 2/20/07, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:

* Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 10:41:27AM CET:
> * Brian wrote on Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 07:53:36PM CET:
> > I *really* want to be able to conditionally specify the files that go
into
> > AC_CONFIG_FILES.
>
> You can execute
>   ./config.status --file=FILE[:TEMPLATE]
>
> on files that you have not listed with AC_CONFIG_FILES.

Erm, and you can also do
  if $some_condition; then
    AC_CONFIG_FILES([some_file])
  fi