Trying to compile Samba 3 on old OpenStep 4.2 Mach-motorola

From: Jennifer Woodward
Subject: Trying to compile Samba 3 on old OpenStep 4.2 Mach-motorola
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:29:31 -0800

Hi autoconf...

On my old NeXT cube running OpenStep 4.2,
   ./configure --help
gave me the following:
  positional parameters were not saved.
  positional parameters were not saved.
  positional parameters were not saved.
  positional parameters were not saved.
  No shell found that supports shell functions.
  Please tell (you)...

...and there were no errors output before the above.

So, how DO I compile 3.0.24 for old OpenStep 4.2?  For that matter how do I
get v2.0.3 to compile on the same?  (See below & attachments.)

FYI I'm not an expert at understanding or tweeking Makefiles (or configure
scripts...), but I have some developer skills.  I am comparing Makefile.in
files from v2.0.3 with v3.0.24.  Version 2.0.3 I did "configure" but DID NOT
successfully compile today to see if I can learn anything.  Since it didn't
compile, I may have to go back a version or more and compare those
Makefile.in files & resultant Makefile files.  But I really want samba 3.x
on my 3 old NeXT cubes so I can send backups from them to my main Win2K file
server / backups machine with the big HD space.  I'm using the NeXTs as old
slow clients, mostly with a browser &/or X11 (for NeXT) to performance-test
some distance learning applications I'm building.  (Yes I could do the
backup-file sharing/transfering c/o NSF to a Debian box on my LAN that
has/will-have samba3, but I wanted to get the samba3 feature that lets a
unix box see windows shares working for the NeXT and old 4.3BSD.  Call it an
obsession about continuing to use my 3 old boxes.)

Attached are my logs of the "configure" and "make" processes I did today on
one of the old NeXT cubes for samba-2.0.3.

Jennifer Woodward, SF CA