AC_CHECK_SIZEOF: cannot compute sizeof (int)

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject: AC_CHECK_SIZEOF: cannot compute sizeof (int)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 22:55:33 +0200

I have a configure.ac which calls:

AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(int)

This fails on a machine (a FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE / Itanium) with:

checking size of int... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (int)

And config.log contains:

configure:22234: cc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/house/bortz/include
-L/house/bortz/lib conftest.c -lpopt  -lm >&5
configure:22237: $? = 0
configure:22243: ./conftest
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libpopt.so.0" not found, required by
"conftest"

[libpopt.so.0 is in /house/bortz/lib]

Indeed, I need popt so I passed --with-popt=$HOME to configure. The
code compiled through libtool seems fine with it but autoconf's tests
like SIZEOF does not go through libtool and are not executable unless
I manually set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is inconvenient.

Any idea?