Re: NO! autoconf cross-tools detection is really useful!

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: NO! autoconf cross-tools detection is really useful!
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:40:22 +0200

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 12:02 -0400, Balint Joo wrote:
> Hi,
>     This is a slightly different issue, but here is a feature to please
> keep,
> or give a new way of doing if it will be changed.
>
>     I often have situations where I have to give some dummy host triplet
> and then explicitly specify the compiler eg for Cray XT3 builds:
>
> CC="qk-gcc" CXX="qk-g++" --host=x86_64-none-none --build=x86_64-suse-linux
>
> Here I want cross compilation and the compilers have nothing to do with the
> host triplet etc.
Why? Where do these gcc/g++'s come from.

The GNU toolchain by defaults installs cross tools with the host prefix,
so the person having built these "qk-"prefixed toolchains must have done
something nasty or hasn't understood how prefixing the tools works.

Anyway, if you want to make your like simpler you an simply install
symlinks using the correct prefix.