Re: automatic update Makefile.am -> Makefile.in -> Makefile no longer wo

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: automatic update Makefile.am -> Makefile.in -> Makefile no longer working
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:28:58 -0700

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 01:14:11AM +0200, Bruno Haible wrote:
>     aclocal.m4:14: error: this file was generated for autoconf 2.61.
>     You have another version of autoconf.
>
> is causing a major regression in the functioning of automake and the GNU
> build system. Namely, a change in Makefile.am does not cause a corresponding
> change to Makefile.in to happen during "make", in many circumstances.

See this thread for the development of the error:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2006-04/msg00060.html

> Or is there an "obvious" workaround that I'm not seeing?

Not obvious, but touch `configure.ac' and run `make' to regenerate everything
with your autotools.  Perhaps the error message should recommend this.

>From your other message:
>  $ autoreconf
>  configure.ac:41: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
>        If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>        See the Autoconf documentation.
>  configure.ac:45: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

You do not have Libtool macro files installed such that `aclocal' can find them.