Re: RFE: Generating a stub Makefile

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: RFE: Generating a stub Makefile
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:37:37 -0600

Mark Heily wrote:
> That is strange, I thought that installing packages under the default
> prefix of /usr/local was the normal way to install development packages.

Not for me.  I keep a build directory per project.  Tightly coupled to
that build directory are all of its build dependencies.  I ensure that
PATH for that project build will locate its dependencies before
locating the default system versions.  Across multiple projects it
would be rare for them all to require the same versions.

Installing into /usr/local is a default for installing a new upstream
release that overrides the system installation.  I do that for
upstream releases.  I would not normally do that for a development
snapshot.  I normally try to operate with /usr/local fairly clean on
development machines.  For a production machine I typically end up
with a small selection of very targeted applications there that I need
to be different from the system release.

> BTW, my solution for right now will be to use the 'dist-hook' target to
> add a stub Makefile to my projects' source tarballs.

I am happy that you have found a solution that works for you and that
also works within the present system.

Bob