Re: Configuration management Debian-Automake-autoconf

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Configuration management Debian-Automake-autoconf
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:58:43 -0600

Aslak Johannessen wrote:
> Im currently trying to trans fare a large amount of projects form ad-hoc
> Makefiles to automake and autoconf. One of the  objectives for this
> trans fare is it get debian packages for "free". Meaning that when the
> build is ok the dpkg-buildpackage does the job of making packages.

Easy.  Simply add a Makefile target to run the debuild command.  I
prefer to put package specific build information in a subdirectory.
But this can easily be added to a Makefile.maint file too.  But I find
typing 'debuild' to be easier than typing 'make deb' or some such and
so never actually create a shorter short-cut.

  $ sudo apt-get install devscripts
  $ debuild

> To make autoconf automake and dpkg-buildpackage run one needs to edit
> and type information into many different files. Mainly Makefile.am
> configure.in and debian/control. Much of this information is duplicated
> and the "need" for a centralized configuration file for each project is
> wished for. At least I think that all of this information is duplicated
> and i can for see a nightmare of maintenance in the future with all ties
> files?

I don't understand.  I don't see the duplication.

> My question is therefor is there such a system for configuration
> management that can handle generation of the correct files or at least
> substitution of them?

Are you trying to generate the ./debian/* files?

Bob