Configure can't find library but g++ can

From: astro9672
Subject: Configure can't find library but g++ can
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 00:19:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I am attempting to use autotools to create a program
that uses two shared libraries: libcsv and libical.

I was able to get everything working up to the point
of detecting the first library.  The relevant part of
my configure.ac script is here:
-----
# check for libcsv
AC_CHECK_LIB(csv,
        main,
        LIBS="$LIBS -lcsv",
        AC_MSG_ERROR([*** libcsv library not found!])
)

# check for libical
AC_CHECK_LIB(ical,
        main,
        LIBS="$LIBS -lical",
        AC_MSG_ERROR([*** libical library not found!])
)
------

I'm pretty sure I have all the syntax right because
configure finds libcsv without a problem, but I cannot
get it to locate libical for the life of me.  I tried
a bunch of different (valid) functions instead of
"main" just in case, but to no avail.

The other thing is that I went ahead and tried to
compile manually, setting the -lical flag, and it
worked!  My program started right up and was using
libical fine.  I also checked to make sure that
libical was installed in the correct directories and
everything looked in order (and just like libcsv!)

So I think the library is installed and I think I have
the syntax right but configure still says it cannot
find the library.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy