RE: msys : convert datadir to windows directory syntax

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: RE: msys : convert datadir to windows directory syntax
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 10:32:12 +0100

Markus Duft wrote:
> I found a comment in some macro i used to use some time ago (to define
> directories). It seems that since autoconf 2.60 $datadir contains
> $datarootdir, so either use $datarootdir directly, or change the
> MSYS_... Macro to do an eval on that variable, so it gets resolved.

No, you should not do that.

> dnl In Autoconf 2.60, ${datadir} refers to ${datarootdir}, which in turn
> dnl refers to ${prefix}.  Thus we have to use `eval' twice.
>   eval ac_define_dir="\"[$]$2\""
>   eval ac_define_dir="\"$ac_define_dir\""

This sort of shennanigans suggests an abuse of (the intent of) these
variables; if you find yourself doing this, you are probably doing
something wrong.

My earlier post suggests a more robust solution, (although it is still
afflicted by an undesirable dependence on undocumented behaviour).

Regards,
Keith.