Re: list of --host options

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: list of --host options
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 04:46:58 -0700

Joao Miguel Ferreira wrote:

> where can I find a list of the currentlly supported --host=myHost
> options for cross compilation... (linux, hp, sun, cygwin, etc)

This is not really something that autoconf determines.  Whether or not
cross compiling with a given --host works or not is really more a
function of whether you have a functional cross-toolchain of that name
installed or not.  If it's there, autoconf will try to use it, otherwise
it will fail.

In terms of getting a list of host triplets, you can look at the
config.guess file, or look at the subject-lines of the gcc-testresults
mailing list archives for another perspective.  But keep in mind that
host triplets are somewhat of a freeform field: there are many
non-canonical forms in use.  For example, some people might use
"i386-linux", others "i686-pc-linux-gnu", others "i486-unknown-linux",
maybe "i686-suse-linux-gnu", etc.  As long as you are consistent in how
you name your cross-toolchain and what you specify for --host, it
doesn't really matter.  The part that matters is whether there is a
working foo-cc, foo-ld, foo-as, foo-ar, foo-ranlib, etc.

Brian