Re: Autoconf and Doxygen

From: William Pursell
Subject: Re: Autoconf and Doxygen
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:05:22 +0100

Christopher Key wrote:

I've a package for which I'd like to include some Doxygen created documentation in the distributed tarball. I'm having some problems, I think fundamentally because the way the documentation gets built doesn't fit very well with the src and build tree ideas.

I can tell you what I do, and mention that I find my solution pretty kludgy:

checkout from repository.
bootstrap:
   run Doxygen in every directory with a Doxyfile
   aclocal && autoconf ..

acinclude.m4 contains a macro which looks at the
html and man directories and does an AC_SUBST_FILE to
create MAN_FILE_LIST and HTML_FILE_LIST

Makefile.am contains:
dist_man_MANS = foo.1 \
@MAN_FILE_LIST@

(and similar for html)

where foo.1 is a file I know will be created by Doxygen.

I must include a specific file on the dist_man_MANS line or
automake doesn't know what section to use.  (Slap forehead
as I realize I could use dist_man1_MANS and probably avoid that
problem).

As I recall, I avoided putting the @MAN_FILE_LIST@ on the
same line with the dist_man_MANS because automake 1.9 doesn't
like that.