Re: MKDIR_P not getting substituted with current versions of Autotools.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: MKDIR_P not getting substituted with current versions of Autotools.
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 20:22:25 +0200

Hello David,

Thanks for the report.

* David Bruce wrote on Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 06:42:12PM CEST:
> The autotools-based build process now fails with my project, and I am having
> trouble figuring out why.  I am using a Debian system with the latest
> versions of automake (1.10) and autoconf (2.61).  I run into the problem when
> I run "make install", which fails with the following:
[...]
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/dbruce/tux4kids/tuxmath/build/src'
> test -z "/usr/local/bin" || @MKDIR_P@ "/usr/local/bin"
> /bin/sh: @MKDIR_P@: command not found
[...]
> From the "non-working" Makefile:
>
> ACLOCAL = ${SHELL} /home/dbruce/tux4kids/tuxmath/trunk/missing --run
> aclocal-1.9
[...]

Your package seems to have been bootstrapped with Autoconf 2.61 and
Automake 1.9.  This combination exposes a backward compatibility bug
only fixed in unreleased Autoconf CVS/git tree (patch from 2007-01-23).
Workaround is to re-boostrap (typically: run autoreconf again) with
Automake 1.10.  Another workaround is to add
  AC_SUBST([MKDIR_P])

to your configure.ac (untested).

Hope that helps.