Re: Custom Build

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Custom Build
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:20:55 +0100

Hello Kamaljit,

* Kamaljit Singh wrote on Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 12:17:32AM CEST:

> Is it possible to create custom build targets and dependencies quite like the
> one for say C++ ?
> For instance -
> install_ABC=hello_world
> hello_world_SRC=a.xyz b.xyz c.xyz
>
> where my own "compiler" would "compile" the SRC argument as and would
> install it in $(installdir) ???

Not quite like the magic variables that Automake provides.

But there is one thing to remember: the contents of Makefile.am are
copied (almost) verbatim into Makefile.in, thus make it into Makefile
almost unchanged.  That means, you can just write "normal" make rules
for everything not yet supported by Automake (bear in mind such things
as using `SUFFIXES = ...' instead of `.SUFFIXES: ...' etc.).

That is not considered to be "ugly" by any means, by the way.
It may be more typing work, though.

Hope that helps.