Portability of shell parameter expansions (${word%pattern} and friends)?

From: Benoit Sigoure
Subject: Portability of shell parameter expansions (${word%pattern} and friends)?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:13:07 +0100

Hi autoconfers,

On Nov 6, 2007, at 1:01 PM, Akim Demaille wrote:

Le 6 nov. 07 à 11:56, Benoit Sigoure wrote :

On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:24 AM, Akim Demaille wrote:

Le 3 nov. 07 à 23:10, Benoit Sigoure wrote :

+ # If with_boost is empty, we'll search in /lib first, which is not quite + # right so instead we'll try to a location based on where the headers are.
+    boost_tmp_lib=$with_boost
+ test x"$with_boost" = x && boost_tmp_lib=${boost_cv_inc_path %/include}

This construct is not used in Autoconf, so I doubt
it's right to use it for the AMA.

What, the parameter expansion ${word%pattern}? The Autoconf manual doesn't say anything about it, so I guessed it was portable.

That's the right way to read the manual :)  If you want
to know about its support, put a spy in Autoconf.

WDYT people?

It can used `expr' or `sed' instead, but it costs an extra fork (and forks are *very* costly on Windows/Cygwin, so I'm starting to hunt them, somehow)

Hmm 2 extra forks actually.

I would not use it anyway.

Anyone aware of any portability issue with shell parameter expansions?

--
Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory