Re: Autotools and GPL3

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Autotools and GPL3
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:23:42 -0600

Ralf and all -- I'm not sure if RT sent Brett's reply to this list.  In
any case, he said that the autotools exception was now being actively
worked on, but it's impossible to give a firm ETA (my interpretation is
that it'll be a matter of weeks, not days, but hopefully not months,
either).  He will send an update on Wednesday.

I imagine it will take several rounds of pretests before a release is
ready, in any case?  In which case, I wonder about starting that now,
using GPLv2+.  If the exception is done before you are ready to release,
great.   If not, at least you weren't further delayed.  You can always
make another release when it is finally ready.

Wdyt?

Thanks,
Karl