Re: Question on AC_PREREQ

From: Sebastian Pipping
Subject: Re: Question on AC_PREREQ
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:13:00 +0100

Noah Misch wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:46:30AM +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
>> I am running Autoconf 2.61a here. I want to add a version
>> guard to my configure.in and surprisingly adding
>>
>>    AC_PREREQ(2.61b)
>>
>> gives an error (from aclocal already) as expected
>> but
>>
>>    AC_PREREQ(2.7)
>
> AC_PREREQ uses GNU `strverscmp'-style comparisons.  Essentially, the version
> is
> two dot-separated integers with an optional trailing letter.  Therefore, 2.61
> >
> 2.10 > 2.9 > 2.7.

Got it, thank you!

While were talking about AC_PREREQ: I thought maybe requiring
version "2.61a" would be a bad idea if an older version like
"2.60" is enough already, especially with an alpha version.
Is there some place with information for what versions the
API actually changed so I can require the minimum instead?

Sebastian

PS: Please CC me as I'm not on the list.