AC_FUNC_MALLOC, AC_FUNC_REALLOC and crossbuilding with mingw

From: David Bruce
Subject: AC_FUNC_MALLOC, AC_FUNC_REALLOC and crossbuilding with mingw
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:38:04 -0500

Hi,

I cross-build my native linux program for Windows using mingw.  I recently ran
autoscan to see if my configure.ac was lacking anything that ought to be in
there, and the recommendations included adding AC_FUNC_MALLOC and
AC_FUNC_REALLOC.  These macros cause the cross-build to fail with errors
about "undefined reference to _rpl_malloc", etc.  The autoconf manual says
that the macros are supposed to enforce compatibility with GNU's malloc in
that 'malloc(0)' should return a valid pointer, and suggests a sort of
wrapper to accomplish this.

My question is whether I can safely comment out AC_FUNC_MALLOC and
AC_FUNC_REALLOC, because the program seems to build and run fine on both
platforms without these checks.

Thanks,

--
David Bruce