Problems with AC_LANG_WERROR

From: Stefan Bienert
Subject: Problems with AC_LANG_WERROR
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:13:46 +0100

Hi there,

I have a problem with AC_LANG_WERROR together with AC_REPLACE_FUNCS.
When I introduce the werror macro to configure.ac, the configure script
is not recognising any functions checked in AC_REPLACE_FUNCS, any more.
This is because the "conftest-mechanism" uses -werror as a CFLAG while
compiling the conftest.c files. Of course, compiling with gcc fails at
that point, no binary is produced, test for the function fails, ... to
put it short: It's like being a steak when the foosas are attacking. The
result of this series of unfortunate events is that the corresponding
function is put into @LIBOBJS@ and the Makefile tries to put a
replacement function into a library. For existing functions this is a
bad thing...
Is there any standard approach to treat this case?
On the web I found something like reseting ac_c_werror_flag but this
does not occur like an elegant way to me...

Please excuse my use of language here, I'm very new to this whole GNU
build system - thingi and do not know the right terms for everything.

greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan Bienert